Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Specials at the Nokia

I got invited to see the ultimate Ska band the other night. I went to see the Specials at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles. To be 100% honest I really only saw about 7 or 8% of the show live. I watched what I saw of the show on monitors in the VIP lounge. Frankly, I think the people on the floor had the best experience. We could watch the show live from some seats looking down onto the show and the floor. They just seemed to Theater-y for us. The Specials really are a great bar band. As a show band they're kinda whatever. They should been seen from the floor and in a "joint" not the theater the Grammys are doled out.
Here's my next beef: The ticket price was $75 and then a beer was $14. Come on let's just ream everyone shall we! It seems the only people seeing The Specials in LA were members of the upper middle class or comped rock writers. I truly think The Specials would be better in a smaller club playing for maybe 3 or 4 nights. They'd make the same money and maybe build a younger and vibrant fan base.
Am I glad I "heard" them live, yes. They totally rocked and the band was nice. Its not like I spent a lot of time with them but the minute or two I was in there sphere; I found them to be nice guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment