Total Pageviews

Monday, March 11, 2013

Old Timey Diseases

I was reading an old novel the other day and one of the characters had Dropsy. I realized I had no idea what Dropsy is. One never hears of anyone suffering from Dropsy anymore. I put the book down and went to my trusty laptop and googled Dropsy. Well the reason you don't hear of it is because it is now called Edema. Umm what is Edema? I found that it s the abnormal accumulation of fluid or swelling.

Then I started thinking about other old timey diseases you don't hear of anymore. Things like Pleurisy and Lumbago. What were these diseases and do we still suffer from them?
I had no idea what Pleurisy was either but it sounds sinister like something that would afflict a character in a Bronte novel. I again googled it and found it was indeed a real thing and it was a lung disease. It is the swelling of the pleural cavity surrounding the lungs. I realized i had once had pleurisy! It is painful but cure now with antibiotics.
Then I started think about Lumbago. I suspected it was some sort of back element.  I had a hypothesis, a guess, a hunch and what do you know I was right. It is pain in the lower back. It is sort of a catch all term for back pain.
Theses are real diseases and luckily we no longer have to see our general surgeon to be cured but can pop a quick pill and be back in the pink of health again in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment