Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 7, 2013

"Modern Family" a Modern Cliche


The sitcom on ABC "Modern Family" has gotten rave reviews and won many television awards but I don't see why. I to be honest had never seen the show until last night and I really only watched it because I knew someone who was on the show. I found the entire half an hour to be predictable, humorless and insulting. Cliche upon cliche made up the script and none of them were funny. Horny demanding housewives, mincing gay men and bumbling husbands populate the script. The kids are no better the dumb older daughter and her brainy sister are left to babysit their younger bother and two other family remembers, the geeky fat kid and irritating bratty girl. These are all people we have seen a million times unfortunately there have been much better written versions of these cliche characters.
The two gay male characters were the most offensive and cliche ridden of them all. They flit about flouncing from one gay cliche to another. These are roles that could be played by Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Reilly if not Edward Everett Horton. I was rather shocked by the portrayal of these characters. This is not what I expected in 2013; after all the press the show has gotten I expected something remotely real life but was shone yet another hackneyed fag role.
Perhaps the episode I watched was an anomaly but I think not. I frankly didn't laugh once during the entire half and hour. The jokes could be seen coming and when they came they weren't funny but mildly amusing at best. I was very disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment