Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 2, 2013

I Might Just Love Alabama Shakes


One night not too long ago I was bored at home watching TV and I happened to catch an episode of Saturday Night Live. I normally don't watch SNL anymore for a bunch of reasons and I almost never care for the bands they book. The evening's show that I caught featured a band called Alabama Shakes. The name was enough to put me off as I was expecting some sort of Taylor Swit with palsy kind of band but I was proven wrong! I am so glad I was so filled with ennui that I couldn't change the channel because I might just love Alabama Shakes! This isn't the kind of band I would normally find attractive but there was something about them that grabbed me. That something is lead singer Brittany Howard. She has an energy and a charisma that makes you want to watch her. Their song on SNL was enough to make me want to see them live. I think she is someone who really needs to be seen live to really get her vibe. Ms. Howard is an energy force to be reckoned with. A if Joan Armatrading had balls or Linda Perry was friendly kind of vibe is what you get from her.
After the otherwise forgettable SNL was over I googled the band. Who knew they won a Grammy? I must of been out of the room or doing something else when the award was given; who knows. I started listening to them the next day and I have to say I am impressed. I normally don't really care for the roots/southern rock sound but they are able to bring a nice edge to it.
Visually they look exactly what I think a garage band from Alabama would look like. I have checked several of their videos and I really think they are a band to be seen live.  I will be keeping my eye on this band to see where they go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment