Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Welcome to Reality


What is real? Not reality TV, no sir it is not. You'd be be shocked ho many people believe it is. How do I know this you may ask, well I'll tell you. I have done nearly a dozen "reality shows" int the past year and each time I have been paid as an actor. Each time I tell someone I have done these shows I get asked "you mean it isn't real?". No it is acting. Is it real acting? No, not in the conventional definition of acting but it is a form of acting none the less. This is not really me and this didn't actually happen. These are scenarios concocted by a producer and rather than hire a writer to write a script they pay actors a pittance to improvise a scene. I am not a Mormon, my daughter has not been kidnapped, I'm not a germaphobe and I'm not a Brooklyn homeowner but I've played them on TV. The scenarios are presented as true with the smallest of disclaimers zipping past in the end credits. I was so surprised to find out how many people watch these shows and just how many people believe them to be real. "No ma'am my daughter is not still missing."
These shows are popular with producers because the are cheap to make. Locations are rented for the day and actors create the "script" on site. The productions staff is minimal and working cheap at jobs they are often learning on the spot. This type of programming is a cash cow for a network. They cost next to nothing and reap a lot of revenue. Producers can't be blamed, lets face who doesn't like easy money?
Scripts don't exist. Each half hour episode is about a page in length. The actors are given a beginning sometimes a middle and then an end. Just get there and make it big any mistakes can be fixed in editing. It is easy to do and fast. Camera operators and sound guys have the toughest time. They have to think on their feet and keep up with the actors. No one really knows what will happen and if it doesn't work right do it again. If that doesn't work right do it one more time. Hit a mark? That would be great but don't let that bog you down. It can be fixed.
One of the hardest shows I have done was one where I played an amazed audience member at a magic show. Why is this hard you may well ask? Because the tricks weren't real! The show was shot in a green screen studio and there were people dressed in green form fitting suits making things appear out of nowhere and levitate. The magic was "Hollywood magic" of chroma key technology. The actors were paid to enjoy the show with amazement. I was amazed that I was actually doing this.
Welcome to reality!!

No comments:

Post a Comment