Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Did you know the Oreo is 100 years old?


I was reading an article about the Nabisco building in New York, now called the Chelsea Market and it made mention of the Oreo cookie. I haven't had an Oreo in years but there was a time they were like heroin for me. The crispy black part and the sweet deliciousness of the whipped lard based white part were a nirvana. I started thinking back fondly about great Oreo moments in my life...
I looked the cookie up on line and found that it is 100 years old this year! How cool is that? For one hundred years kids have been twisting the black parts counter and clockwise to gnaw at the white part. Kids have been dunking them in mild and eating them out of the glass with a spoon for a century! In my extensive research of almost several websites I discovered that Oreos are a knock off! They are Nabisco's answer to Sunshine Bakery's Hydrox cookies. The Oreo has  kicked Hydrox's kosher ass.
I have never been a fan of the Double Stuff and certainly not the Triple Stuff. I like my oreo classic like a dry martini unadorned yet perfect.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpA3qjeNV8&feature=relmfu

No comments:

Post a Comment