Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Flying Fishbowl

Earlier today I was driving along and I saw something I hadn't seen in a very long time and it made me smile. I saw an AMC Pacer cruising down Hollywood Blvd. I had forgotten about the Pacer. I do admit I did follow it for a block or two just to see it and smile some more. Although only in production for 5 years the Pacer is iconic. Does any thing say 1970's more than a Pacer. The one I saw today was a lovely shade of yellow.

The Pacer's design was fairly avante garde for its day with its bubbled back window and almost George Jetson like design. The automotive designer Richard Teague started work on the design in 1971 and the first Pacer hit the roads in 1975. It was marketed as "the first wide small car" as it was a compact car but the rear was as wide as a traditional 70's sedan. Teague's "low drag" aerodynamic design was very innovative for the day and predated the fuel crisis that brought on the development of more aerodynamic small cars as well as the increase of import cars with better fuel mileage.
Although only 280,000 cars were built by AMC they have become iconic. The automotive press of the time loved the design. Motor Trend magazine said "the most creative, most people oriented auto born in the U.S. in 15 years" in its 1975 review of the car. It is still not long enough ago for the Pacer to be considered a classic but they have become highly collectible. So hop in your Pacer put Grand Funk Railroad tape in the eight track and head out for a drive in your Pacer!

No comments:

Post a Comment